Confused? We can help.


ADP-GGC Grounding Collar for SP2 EuroSurge European Surge Protector

  • Model #: ADP-GGC
  • Manufacturer: Generic/Non-branded
  • Allow 1 business day (M/F) to ship
  • Usually ships from: Apex, NC Warehouse
  • Qty orders may require 3-4 days additional lead time


Sold Out

If you're going to England, Australia, India, South Africa, Israel or any other country where the voltage is 220-240V, but the outlets aren't the European Schuko type, the SP2 EuroSurge 220-240 Volt European Surge Protector can be used there as well. Two additional pieces are required, the appropriate WA plug adapter and a piece called a "grounding collar." The grounding collar maintains a grounded connection to a different socket type, through the plug adapter. This is that grounding collar. All three pieces snap together as shown below. A grounded connection is necessary for the EuroSurge to function properly.

Using the SP2 EuroSurge with a travel adapter

SP2 EuroSurge 220-240 Volt European Surge Protector Features:
  • Does not change voltage -- for use only with appliances which are already compatible with 220-240 volt electrical input
  • Surge Protection: Complete 3-line protection on AC power lines, RJ-11 phone/modem line also protected
  • Provides two North American NEMA 5-15 standard household sockets - 220-240 volts, 8 amps max
  • Pulse Filter: Eliminates European telephone "Pulse Signals" which can interrupt modem connections
  • Indicator lights monitor surge protection circuitry and grounded connection
  • Grounded European CEE 7/7 Schuko plug

But will the EuroSurge work for me? Or do I need a voltage converter/transformer?
Well, that depends on what you need to plug in. "Type F " European Schuko sockets supply electricity at between 220 and 240 volts AC. If you're plugging in an appliance that was built for 220-240 volt electrical input, or an appliance that is compatible with multiple voltages, then the EuroSurge will work just fine.

But the EuroSurge does not change the voltage, so the electricity coming through to the appliance will still be the same 220-240 volts the socket is supplying. North American sockets supply electricity at between 110 and 120 volts, far lower than in most of the rest of the world. Consequently, North American appliances are generally built for 110-120 volts. But that doesn't mean that your specific appliance isn't already compatible with the higher voltage -- it may very well be.

So how do I know whether or not my appliance is compatible with 220-240 volts?
Short answer: The only way to know is to check, and there's absolutely no getting around that crucial step. Electricity is nothing to mess around with, and assuming can be bad news. If you're wrong, you could "fry" your appliance, or worse yet, start a fire.

That being said, generally speaking, most modern "digital-age" appliances (especially ones that run on batteries) are being built to be compatible with all worldwide voltages, from 100 volts in Japan to 240 volts in the United Kingdom. This usually includes things like laptops, PDAs, cell phones, digital cameras, digital camcorders, many portable video game devices, digital music players, etc. More and more personal grooming items like hair dryers curling irons, shavers (especially cordless ones) and such are being built to be compatible with multiple voltages as well, but most of them aren't.

"Conventional appliances" like kitchen items, audio/video equipment, vacuum cleaners, lamps and lights, and most bath appliances are not compatible with multiple voltages. Again, the only way to know is to check. A common misconception is that there's any such thing as a "standard" electrical input for appliances. There's not. They're all different.

How to find your appliance's voltage info

Okay, so how do I find this info for my specific appliance?
The electrical input specifications will appear on a label on the appliance itself, or on its charger or AC adapter if it uses one, near where the brand name and model number appear. Look for the word "input." As a last resort, you could check the back of the manual, but 99 times out of 100, it will be on the appliance's or charger's label. The input voltage is usually abbreviated to "V" and it should look something like this:

Input: ~100-240V 50/60Hz 65W -- This means the appliance is compatible with multiple voltages. This item can be brought just about anywhere in the world, and any difference in voltage is basically irrelevant. The appliance (or charger) adjusts itself to whatever voltage it receives. The only issue is whether or not the plug can physically interface with the socket. The EuroSurge will work just fine.

---or--- Input: 115/230V 50/60Hz 200W -- This means that the appliance can be switched between 110-120 volts in North America, and 220-240 volts in other parts of the world. This is common of desktop computers and some hair dryers/curling irons/etc. You probably have to physically flip a switch somewhere, but as long as that switch is in the proper position, the EuroSurge will work just fine.

---or--- Input: 120V 60Hz 2.8A -- This means that the appliance is only compatible with a single voltage, in this case, 120 volts. The EuroSurge isn't what you need, because the EuroSurge does not change the voltage supplied by the socket. Plugging it in with just the EuroSurge can "fry" it (if you're lucky, that's all that will happen) because the voltage is too high for the appliance to handle. To use this appliance safely, the voltage needs to be changed from 220-240 volts to 110-120 volts by way of a voltage converter or transformer.

Your IP Address is:
Copyright © 2017 Adaptelec